Name:
Location: Minneapolis, MN

what is this?

Tell me when this blog is updated. . .

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Learning new things everyday......

Today I had some time to go out and take pictures. This first one here is of my “street” in Nice. I live in the area called Old Nice or Ville Vieux. As you can tell all of the streets are very narrow and are mostly pedestrian. Although during the day you see some cars driving down to make deliveries and such to all of the little shops in the area. I live above the restaurant La Tapenade, my window is right next to the street light hanging off the building. This is another view of my building looking down the other street on the corner.



I also went down to the market today. It is only a few blocks from my apartment and is open daily. It not only has fruits and vegetables, but also many flowers, olives, marzipan, candied fruit, and baked goods. Here are a few shots from the market.

This morning I went to the shopping district on the street Jean Medecin. Once you get out of the Old Town, it is more like being in a metropolitan area. They have a tram-train that runs all over the city and is only 1 euro per trip. I took the train down to the shopping area but ran into some trouble on my way home. I got and the train and it only went 1 stop and then they made an announcement and everyone got off the train. So I started to walk back to my apartment and I then found out what was going on. There was a large protest for education and they had blocked the way for the trains. There had to be over 1000 people including 2 giant flatbed trucks with bands playing on them. I didn’t have my camera, so no pictures. :(

A final thought. Some things just don’t translate well. During rehearsal we were working on Act 2 which I only sing at the end of. As I was sitting and waiting for my part, the soprano who is singing Magda, Daria, asked me an odd question. She said “Do you have big balls?” By the look on my face, she knew the translation didn’t work so well. In Italian they have an expression “Che due Palle?” which in essence is asking if you are bored or “weighted” down, hence “big balls”. An odd expression, but definitely an interesting one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home